Dr. Thomas graduated from Seth G.S. Medical College of the University of Bombay, India in 1974. After General Surgery at the University of Illinois in Chicago, he completed his Urology Residency at Tulane University School of Medicine in New Orleans in 1982. He was an AUA scholar and completed his fellowship with the American Urological Association and National Kidney Foundation between 1979 -1980. Following his residency and fellowship, Dr. Thomas joined the faculty at Tulane University School of Medicine, in the Department of Urology, receiving board certification by the American Board of Urology in 1984. Dr. Thomas' career has been dedicated to innovations in delivering minimally invasive urologic surgical procedures. Dr Thomas has significant experience in basic and complex endourological procedures, including diagnostic, therapeutic and reconstructive. Dr. Thomas has produced several procedure videos which have enhanced the learning experience at many seminars, symposia, and meetings throughout the world. He continues to be a leader in the field of Urologic Laparoscopy and Robotic Surgery. He has pioneered several innovative surgical techniques and principles, authored over 180 publications, conducts and participates in advanced continuing medical education (CME) activities around the U.S. and the world, and has been listed for several years in "Best Doctors in America" and "Best Doctors in New Orleans."
Innovations to his credit includes introducing Urologic Laparoscopic Surgery to the Gulf South Region in 1991, performed the first daVinci robotic procedure in 2002 and continues to widen the horizon of robotic Urologic surgery.
Dr. Thomas has widespread experience in management of complex kidney stones using a range of technology including shockwave lithotripsy, percutaneous and ureteroscopic approaches, and lasers.
Dr. Thomas has been Chairman of Urology at Tulane University School of Medicine since 1996 and was the President of the Southeastern Section of the American Urological Association in 2010. Dr. Thomas was also President of the World Congress of Endourology & SWL 2013. He now serves as President-Elect of the AUA. Of all of his accomplishments, Dr. Thomas feels that rescuing and rebuilding the Tulane Urology Department and Residency Program following Hurricane Katrina in 2005 stands out as his finest moment.
DR. THOMAS - AT A GLANCE
Clinic Appointments - (504) 988-5271
Fax: (504) 988-5059
- Professor and Chair of the Department of Urology, Tulane University School of Medicine 1996 – Present
- Director of Endourology, Laparoscopy, and Robotic Surgery, Tulane University School of Medicine & Medical Center
- Graduated from Seth G.S. Medical College of the University of Bombay, India Medical School in 1974
- Residency completed at Tulane University, New Orleans LA in 1982.
- Fellowship with the American Urological Association and National Kidney Foundation, 1979-1980
- Board Certification: American Board of Urology, 1984
- Full-time faculty at Tulane since 1982
- Significant experience in basic and complex endourological procedures, including diagnostic, therapeutic and reconstructive. Pioneered several innovative surgical techniques and principles. Authored over 180 publications. Conducts and participates in advanced continuing medical education (CME) activities around the U.S. and the world.